Reading Response- LOTF

   When I first heard that we were reading, Lord of the Flies, I didn't think much of it. I knew that it was a classic, so I was prepared not to love the book because, in my opinion, some classics can be boring. I'm not going to lie, Lord of the Flies has a slow start, however it is getting good. I was most surprised by how many symbols there are in this book. Everything has a purpose, and it shocked me to think how much work it must have been for the author. It is also very interesting that so much can happen plot wise without a significant change in setting. Golding does a great job of creating imagery for the reader.
   One of my points of focus is Jack and Ralph's relationship. When they first met, the boys became immediate friends. Both have strong leadership qualities, which show in their prominent roles on the island. Later in the book, tension rises in their friendship. This was bound to happen due to their overbearing attitudes. I was surprised at how quickly they went from best friends to enemies. Another  one of my points of focus is Ralph's mentality. On his first day on the island he is very happy-go-lucky and carefree. After he assumes the role of chief, a drop in charisma takes place. Ralph becomes angry and obsessive over the fire, which he believes is the only way the boys will get off of the island. This plays into his relationship with Jack. Ralph's downfall continues throughout the book because he is losing all hope in survival. His mentality from the first day to his present state are severe opposites, and frankly a little concerning. In chapter eight, Ralph seems to be losing his mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction

Describe a time when you were very scared

All About Me